FOXBORO — Courtesy of the Texans’ public relations staff, notes from Week 14 at Gillette Stadium, where the Texans lost 42-14 to the New England Patriots:
· Failed to score first for the sixth time this season. Houston fell to 4-2 when allowing its opponents to score first thus far this season.
· Trailed after one quarter for the fourth time this season and trailed at halftime and after three quarters for the third time this season. Houston fell to 2-2, 1-2 and 1-2 in each instance, respectively.
· Lost the time of possession battle for the second time this season, holding the ball for 29:11. It was the first time this season that Houston’s time of possession was less than 30:00, since the only other instance in which the Texans lost time of possession was an overtime game at Detroit in Week 12 (11/22).
· Finished with an even turnover margin for the second time this season. Houston gave the ball away once and had one takeaway in the game. The Texans fell to 1-1 in such instances.
FB JAMES CASEY
· Caught a 30-yard pass in the third quarter, matching his long for the season. He also had a 30-yard catch in Week 5 at the New York Jets (10/8), also on Monday Night Football.
TE OWEN DANIELS
· Extended his streak of consecutive games with a reception to 80 with a 13-yard catch in the first quarter. The catch was also the 350th of his career.
RB JUSTIN FORSETT
· Caught his 100th career pass on a 14-yard screen pass in the first quarter. Forsett entered the game with 99 career receptions in five seasons.
RB ARIAN FOSTER
· Scored his 14th rushing touchdown of the season on a 1-yard scoring run in the third quarter, passing RB Domanick Williams’ total of 13 rushing touchdowns in 2004 for the second-most in team history. Foster holds the franchise single-season record with 16 rushing touchdowns in 2010.
· Caught his longest pass of the season when he took a screen pass 23 yards in the second quarter. Foster’s previous long was an 18-yard catch in Week 2 at Jacksonville (9/16).
· Established a season high with 39 receiving yards in the game, bettering his previous high of 37 yards from Week 2 at Jacksonville (9/16).
WR LESTAR JEAN
· Caught his second pass of the game, a gain of 7 yards in the second quarter. It marked Jean’s first career game with multiple receptions.
WR ANDRE JOHNSON
· Surpassed 1,200 receiving yards in a season for the fourth time in his career, topping the milestone on his seventh catch, a gain of 5 yards in the third quarter. Johnson entered the game with 1,114 yards on the year.
· Passed Gary Clark (10,856) for 29th on the NFL’s all-time receiving yardage list. Johnson now has 10,865 career receiving yards.
· Extended his franchise-record streak of consecutive games with a reception to 95 with an 8-yard catch in the first quarter.
P DONNIE JONES
· Punted seven times with five traveling at least 50 yards, including punts of 59, 57 and 56 yards, giving him at least one punt of 55 yards or longer in 11 of Houston’s 13 games this season.
FS SHILOH KEO
· Registered his first career interception when he picked off a deflected pass from Patriots QB Ryan Mallett in the fourth quarter.
OLB WHITNEY MERCILUS
· Sacked New England QB Tom Brady for a 7-yard loss in the third quarter. The sack gave him 6.0 on the season, tying the franchise rookie sack record set by OLB Brooks Reed in 2011.
NT EARL MITCHELL
· Forced a fumble in the first quarter. It was his first career forced fumble.
WR DEVIER POSEY
· Recorded his first career catch when he hauled in a 19-yard pass from QB T.J. Yates in the fourth quarter.
CB STANFORD ROUTT
· Made his debut as a Texan, seeing action on special teams and as a reserve on defense.
QB MATT SCHAUB
· Surpassed 20,000 career passing yards as a member of the Houston Texans. He entered the game with 19,965 yards as a Texan and topped the milestone on a 13-yard completion to TE Owen Daniels, his fourth pass attempt of the game.
DE J.J. WATT
· Forced a fumble in the fourth quarter. It was his second forced fumble of the season and the second of his career.
QB T.J. YATES
· Scored his first career rushing touchdown on a quarterback keeper from 1 yard away in the fourth quarter.
· Inactive players for the Texans were CB Alan Ball, G Antoine Caldwell TE Garrett Graham, NT Terrell McClain, RT Derek Newton, OLB Brooks Reed and G Cody White.
· Captains for the Texans were ILB Tim Dobbins, WR Andre Johnson, FS Shiloh Keo, C Chris Myers, QB Matt Schaub, DE Antonio Smith and DE J.J. Watt. Schaub, Johnson, Smith and Watt went to midfield for the pregame coin toss. ILB Brian Cushing, who is on the reserved/injured list, joined his fellow captains at midfield.
· The Patriots won the toss and deferred their option until the second half. Houston received the opening kickoff.
Tags: Andre Johnson, Arian Foster, DeVier Posey, Donnie Jones, Earl Mitchell, Game notes, J.J. Watt, James Casey, Justin Forsett, Lestar Jean, Matt Schaub, Owen Daniels, Postgame notes, Shiloh Keo, Stanford Routt, T.J. Yates, Texans-Patriots Week 14, Whitney Mercilus
Posted in Nick Scurfield | 2 Comments »