NASHVILLE — Courtesy of the Texans’ public relations staff, notes from the second quarter at LP Field, where the Texans lead the Tennessee Titans 21-3:
· Recorded their 21st and 22nd takeaways of the season when DE J.J. Watt forced a fumble in the second quarter and DE Antonio Smith recovered the loose ball and ILB Tim Dobbins intercepted a pass on Tennessee’s first play of the following drive
· Forced turnovers on consecutive plays for the second time this season. Houston forced turnovers on three consecutive defensive plays in the season opener vs. Miami (9/9).
· Scored a touchdown following ILB Tim Dobbins, giving Houston 64 points off of 22 takeaways on the year.
ILB TIM DOBBINS
· Registered his third career interception and his first as a Texan when he picked off a tipped pass in the second quarter and returned it 7 yards to the Tennessee 3-yard line.
RB ARIAN FOSTER
· Scored his 13th rushing touchdown of the season when he reached the end zone on a 2-yard run in the second quarter. The score tied him with RB Domanick Williams’ total from 2004 for the second-most in a season in team history. Foster holds the franchise record with 16 rushing touchdowns in 2010.
K SHAYNE GRAHAM
· Scored his 100th point of the season when he hit his third extra point of the game. It marked his sixth career 100-point season and his first since 2007.
OLB WHITNEY MERCILUS
· Registered his fourth sack of the season and fourth in five games when he dropped Tennessee QB Jake Locker for a 1-yard loss in the second quarter.
FS GLOVER QUIN
· Intercepted his second pass of the season and the fifth of his career when he picked off Tennessee QB Jake Locker on the final play of the second quarter.
QB MATT SCHAUB
· Surpassed 3,000 passing yards for the fourth time in his career. He topped the milestone on a 21-yard pass to WR Andre Johnson in the second quarter. He entered the game with 2,855 yards on the season.
· Picked up 8 yards on a run in the second quarter. It was his longest carry of the season and his longest since 11/14/10 when he had an 8-yard scamper at Jacksonville.
DE ANTONIO SMITH
· Recovered a fumble for the first time this season and the 11th time this season when he scooped up a loose ball in the second quarter.
DE J.J. WATT
· Forced the first fumble of his career when he knocked the ball out of the arms of Tennessee RB Chris Johnson in the second quarter.
· Tipped a pass on the final play of the second quarter, leading to an interception by FS Glover Quin. It was the eighth takeaway that Watt has been involved in this season. He also has two fumble recoveries and the forced fumble he caused earlier in the game.
· Joined Hall of Fame DE Reggie White as the only players in NFL history to record 15 or more sacks and 13 passes defensed in a season when he sacked Tennessee QB Jake Locker for a 6-yard loss in the second quarter. The sack gave him 15.5 on the year to go along with 14 passes defensed. White had 15.0 sacks and 13 passes defensed in 1991.
Tags: Antonio Smith, Arian Foster, Game notes, Glover Quin, J.J. Watt, Matt Schaub, Shayne Graham, Texans-Titans Week 13, Tim Dobbins, Whitney Mercilus
Posted in Nick Scurfield | 2 Comments »