Courtesy of the Texans’ award-winning communications staff, postgame notes from the Texans’ 20-9 preseason victory over the Carolina Panthers at Bank of America Stadium:
· Improved the Texans’ all-time preseason record to 18-25 overall, 10-12 at Reliant Stadium and 2-0 vs. San Francisco.
· Improved the Texans’ all-time preseason record against NFC West teams to 3-1.
· Improved head coach Gary Kubiak’s career preseason record to 15-11 and 8-5 at home.
· Improved the Texans’ record this preseason to 2-2, guaranteeing at least a .500 record in preseason play for the sixth time in Kubiak’s seven seasons as head coach.
TEXANS TEAM NOTES
· Houston has scored on its opening possession in both preseason games this year.
· The Texans trailed for the first time this preseason following a 36-yard field goal by San Francisco K David Akers in the second quarter.
· The Texans first-team offense played 25 snaps and gained 177 yards of offense (128 passing, 49 rushing). Houston scored on two of its four drives in the first half and missed a field goal to end a third.
· The Texans defense has recorded 10 sacks through the first six quarters of play this preseason.
· Houston’s starting defense allowed 123 total yards to San Francisco on 25 snaps.
· The Texans defense held San Francisco to 3-of-13 on third down attempts, giving the 49ers a 23-percent conversion rate. In two preseason games, Houston has held its opponents to 5-of-23 (21.7%) on third down.
· The Texans won the time of possession battle for the second consecutive preseason game, holding on to the ball for 30:04.
· The Texans outrushed the 49ers, gaining 119 yards on the ground and holding San Francisco to 118 yards. Houston has now outrushed its opponent in both preseason games.
· The Texans had an even turnover margin for the second consecutive game
· The 49ers won the toss and deferred the option until the second half.
· Total paid attendance was 71,196. That was the largest crowd in Texans preseason history.
INDIVIDUAL PLAYER NOTES
· OLB Connor Barwin teamed with DE Tim Jamison to sack San Francisco QB Alex Smith for no gain in the first quarter. The sack was Barwin’s first of the 2012 preseason.
· WR Trindon Holliday returned a punt in the third quarter 87 yards for a touchdown. It was the third punt return for touchdown in franchise preseason history. WR Jacoby Jones had both previous scores in the 2007 preseason, taking a punt back 80 yards for a score at Arizona (8/18/07) and another 91 yards for a score vs. Dallas (8/25/07).
· Holliday became the first Texans player to record a kickoff return for a touchdown and a punt return for a touchdown in the same preseason.
· K Shayne Graham connected on a 48-yard field goal attempt to cap the Texans’ opening drive of the game.
· Graham connected from 49 yards in the third quarter, making him 4-of-4 on field goal attempts in the preseason.
· CB Kareem Jackson led the team with four tackles, all solo stops.
· DE Tim Jamison teamed with OLB Connor Barwin to sack San Francisco QB Alex Smith for no gain in the first quarter and combined with DE Antonio Smith to sack San Francisco QB Alex Smith for a 6-yard loss later in the quarter.
· WR Lestar Jean caught a 9-yard touchdown pass from QB Matt Schaub late in the second quarter. It was his first career touchdown catch. He caught two passes for 53 yards in two games during the 2011 preseason before suffering a shoulder injury that ended his season.
· Jean led all receivers in the game with four catches for 42 yards and a touchdown. Through two games, he now leads the team with six catches for 92 yards and a score.
· WR Andre Johnson returned to the field and caught two passes for 49 yards, including a game-long 43-yarder. Despite missing the first preseason game, Johnson ranks third on the team in receiving yards this preseason with 49.
· QB Case Keenum came into the game in the fourth quarter and completed 1-of-3 passes for 20 yards with no touchdowns and no interceptions, giving him a passer rating of 57.6.
· QB Matt Schaub connected with WR Andre Johnson for a 43-yard gain early in the second quarter. The pass was the longest offensive play for the Texans this preseason.
· Schaub completed his first six pass attempts, accounting for 86 yards on the throws, before an incomplete throw to TE Owen Daniels in the second quarter ended the streak.
· Schaub hit WR Lestar Jean for a 9-yard touchdown with :54 remaining in the first half. It was his first touchdown pass of the preseason.
· Schaub finished the first half 11-of-14 for 128 yards with one touchdown and no interceptions, giving him a passer rating of 128.6.
· QB T.J. Yates finished the night 5-of-9 for 30 yards with no touchdowns and no interceptions. He was also sacked twice for 18 yards in losses. His final passer rating was 62.3.
· Texans scratches included NT Shaun Cody, WR Jerrell Jackson, DE J.J. Watt and ILB Greg Williams.