On Now
Coming Up
  • Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM CDT Texans Draft Party pres. by Coors Light Texans fans who are in need of a football fix are invited to come out to the 2014 Houston Texans Draft Party presented by Coors Light on Thursday, May 8 at Reliant Stadium.  The Draft Party begins at 5 p.m. CDT and the 2014 NFL Draft begins at 7 p.m.

Wade Phillips affirms Kareem Jackson as Texans’ No. 2 CB

Posted by Nick Scurfield on March 21, 2012 – 4:36 pm

As a guest on the new “Texans All Access” show on SportsRadio 610 on Tuesday afternoon, defensive coordinator Wade Phillips was asked about the Texans’ No. 2 cornerback situation heading into next season.

The question from “All Access” co-host/former Texans defensive end N.D. Kalu went like this: With Brice McCain, Sherrick McManis and 2011 second-round pick Brandon Harris all on the roster, does Phillips plan for an open competition opposite Pro Bowl corner Johnathan Joseph, or does he feel like Kareem Jackson is the starter?

“I think Kareem’s the starter,” Phillips said. “He started most of the games [last season]. Jason Allen played a lot for us. Of course, Jason went to Cincinnati. So, Kareem had a good year. Part of it was we had a good year defensively, but he had something to do with that. He played physical like we thought he would and he obviously played better than he did previously, and that was a big plus for us.”

Jackson started 13 games in 2011 in his second season out of Alabama. Allen, who signed with the Bengals this weekend as an unrestricted free agent, rotated with Jackson and started four games.

A first-round draft pick in 2010, Jackson gets more criticism from fans than any Texans player this side of Jacoby Jones. Much of it stems from his rookie season, when he was victimized on numerous big plays as a 16-game starter for the Texans’ 32nd-ranked passing defense.

“I mean, you could be on him, but we were, what – second in the league in pass defense or third?” Phillips said [the Texans ranked third with 189.7 yards allowed per game]. “He’s part of a secondary that all works together, and he did his part. He didn’t let us down. I thought I think certainly everybody can improve, including Johnathan Joseph and Danieal Manning and those guys and myself. We can all improve some, but I thought he improved a lot last year. He made a big step forward and he became a starter and played good enough to play with a team that did well pass defense-wise, and that was really the big difference in our team last year, defensively, certainly, after giving up so many yards the year before.”

Tags: , , , , , ,
Posted in Nick Scurfield | 11 Comments »

11 Responses to “Wade Phillips affirms Kareem Jackson as Texans’ No. 2 CB”

1. By Tom Quinty on Mar 21, 2012 | Reply

Agreed, Wade….Jackson was better than he was in his unbelievable bad rookie season. But, would it be too much to ask,”look for the ball” when it`s in the air?

2. By JT on Mar 21, 2012 | Reply

Texans are in some serious denial right now!!1

3. By Jake on Mar 21, 2012 | Reply

Ohhhh mannn we are screwed.

4. By james on Mar 21, 2012 | Reply

will we see more of bryce mccain and harris? or will jackson become 1st rounder we thought he was? im leanin more on mccain? ya…

5. By Pete K on Mar 23, 2012 | Reply

In my estimation, Kareem Jackson only looked good because our defensive line put so much pressure on their QB that he didn’t have time to look downfield with any certainty. Kareem continued to have problems with locating the ball and many passes were caught as they came over his shoulder. He never looked back on most of them. Wade certainly knows the position better than I do but, I remain skeptical as to his value as a CB.

6. By Brian Cushing on Mar 24, 2012 | Reply

Hey Wade, I just hate when we are on third down and QB’s are always looking for Kareem Jax. He has had 3 seasons to prove himself i say we start McCain and make him want the starting job.

7. By christopherk on Mar 25, 2012 | Reply

Kareem just cant look back for the ball,..or he just wont ?..He seems to rely on trying to strip the ball ?..He also gets beat on double moves!

8. By Tom Vaughan on Mar 26, 2012 | Reply

The reason why QB are always going after Jackson is because Joseph is on the other side.

I get frustrated that Jackson doesn’t look back, too, but I didn’t see him get beat that often. It was usually a perfect throw and a great pass. You cannot shut a passing game completely down! I think Houston fans have a very strange expectation of what a CB should be expected to do each and every down.

Jackson is fine. I am very comfortable with him as #2. If there was someone out there whose available and affordable that’s better, sure, by all means. But I don’t know who that is. The difference between last year and his rookie years was night and day.

9. By RMedina on Mar 26, 2012 | Reply

I think Kareem has had more than enough time to improve on his game. It’s obvious to everyone that he has problems finding the ball. Just by reading the few entries here it’s a problem that has yet to find a solution. Why can’t Wade see it…or does he see it but hopes for improvement. Like I said…he has had time to correct it…doubt it ever will be.

10. By Justin on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

I REALLY wish he would think this over. I understand it is difficult to get a decent corner nowadays, but Jackson is not cutting it. He doesn’t read the QB. He gets beat by 2nd rate WR’s. He doesn’t look for the ball when it’s in the air. It’s not a coincidence that QB’s look to see where Jackson is when they wanna pass. He’s infamous for just being downright bad in coverage. He is a solid tackler and I like that about him, I will give him that much. However, it does not excuse his inability to perform his main role, i.e. shutdown the passing game.

1. 1 Trackback(s)

2. Apr 10, 2012: Houston Texans’ Kareem Jackson Is on the Hot Seat | :: Sparxxrx LLC ::