On Now
Coming Up
  • Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM CDT Texans Draft Party pres. by Coors Light Texans fans who are in need of a football fix are invited to come out to the 2014 Houston Texans Draft Party presented by Coors Light on Thursday, May 8 at Reliant Stadium.  The Draft Party begins at 5 p.m. CDT and the 2014 NFL Draft begins at 7 p.m.

Foster says he wants to stay in Houston

Posted by Nick Scurfield on February 2, 2012 – 6:26 pm

Texans running back Arian Foster will be a restricted free agent this offseason. The 2010 NFL rushing champion, who made his second consecutive Pro Bowl in 2011, was asked about his contract situation on Thursday afternoon during an interview with SportsRadio 610 from Radio Row in Indianapolis.

“It’s out of my hands,” Foster said. “It’s not under my control. The Texans are going to make the best move for their organization and their team, and if I happen to be a part of that, that’s a wonderful thing because I want to be a part of it. But if not, I have to continue living my life and they’ll do that with theirs. But I want to – they’ve expressed interest that they want to, and they already know that I want to stay in Houston. I’m just looking for that day. Hopefully, I can. Hopefully, they can make my dream come true, because I just love the city of Houston, man. I really do.”

Foster is entering his fourth season in the league. As a restricted free agent, he can sign an offer sheet with another team after free agency begins, but the Texans will have the right to match it. The Texans can place as high as a first-round tender on Foster, meaning if another team signs him to an offer sheet and the Texans elect not to match it, they would get a first-round draft pick in return.

An undrafted free agent in 2009, Foster played last season on a one-year contract. He didn’t raise any issues with his contract in the media or miss any of training camp. He went on to finish fifth in the NFL with 1,224 rushing yards despite missing three-and-a-half games.

“I think that’s the kind of stuff that only happens during the offseason,” Foster said on how much he thinks about his contract. “During the season, I’m trying to win ballgames and I’m trying to be the best running back I can for my team. And I think that if you get too caught up in the business end of it, you’ll forget that you actually have to play the game. I just try to play the game, and I’m a firm believer that if you take care of this game and you treat this game and respect it how it’s supposed to be played, I think that eventually it’ll take care of you, and so that’s kind of how I live.”

Tags: ,
Posted in Nick Scurfield | 21 Comments »

21 Responses to “Foster says he wants to stay in Houston”

1. By Fan on Feb 3, 2012 | Reply

Give this man the money and stability he deserves.

2. By Richard on Feb 6, 2012 | Reply

They need Him. Go get a WR like Reggie Wayne.

3. By George on Feb 9, 2012 | Reply

This is why I love Arian Foster, he doesn’t hold out waiting to get a deal done. That shows humbleness and respect.

4. By karen cummings on Feb 10, 2012 | Reply

if the texans let arian foster after all he s done for this city and the people of houston there crazy because if they let him go i guarantee you he ll go somewhere else and win a superbowl that he should have won for us. mcnair dont take this likely if you will let him get away you will before hated in this city.you think the owner of the oilers were hated by this city you be hated worse. that just my opinion but im just a citizen of houston that cant afford to go to the games but have watch them every sunday for the past 10 years I LOVE THE TEXANS

5. By Bob McNair on Feb 10, 2012 | Reply

Don’t worry, we will pay Foster whatever he wants!

6. By Javi on Feb 10, 2012 | Reply

I agree hes a great player in general, I love his attitude and his style. Please pay this man, he is well deserving of it!!!!

7. By Curt on Feb 10, 2012 | Reply

His statements are the reason the Texams need him in the locker room as well as on the field. Yes, he has a uniquqe personlaity (which is another reasom I like him), but he is intellegent and handles his business as a professional (he learned his mistake with the hamstring tweet). Although it can be said that running backs are easy to come by, this cannot be said for a runnng back like Arian Foster.

8. By Buford on Feb 11, 2012 | Reply

Awesome. Simply awesome.

There is so much love and community in Houston and with the Texans. It’s all about teamwork and friendship. GO TEXANS!!!

9. By Jon O on Feb 12, 2012 | Reply

Zone Blocking scheme where multiple running backs have had that sort of season.. I love Foster but… An extra 1st round pick and the ability to resign mario to make that 3 man olb tandem legit.. Plus they have Ben tate I mean come on guys.. Lets be serious here the answer is obvious, rare talent yes but irreplaceable.. Not so much in my opinion. Unless of course they can keep both thats my favorite outcome

10. By Aaron on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

@ Jon O; Maybe it’s just my opinion here, but it seems Mario Williams is the more replaceable one. Brooks Reed is much younger and put out a productive season. Tate did as well, but where would you rather have the tandem, Rolb or RB? I think 9 out of 10 are gonna tell you running back. Also who is to say Super Mario comes back 100%. We know the defense will be fine without Mario, but what about the run game without Arian. We only saw three games he was out that Tate had to step up. He makes a great change of pace back, but he still has some proving to do before I would ever try to rely on him as the guy. All and all, Mario Williams is a great talent and he got his money in Houston, but Arian is the man right now and in the years to come…

11. By KARINA on Aug 3, 2012 | Reply

FOSTER!! FOSTER!! FOSTER!!! FOSTER!!! HE IS A GREAT ATHLETIC PLAYER AND HAS DONE SO MUCH WITH THE TEXANS AND THE FANS OF THE TEXANS.. WE BELIVE THAT WE WILL GO TO THE SUPERBOWL WITH FOSTER IN THE TEXANS. SO PLEEEEEAAAASSEEE PAY HIM THE MONEY, SO HE CAN STAY AND PLAY WITH THE TEXANS!!!!!!…. SO MANY FANS!!!

1. 10 Trackback(s)

2. Feb 2, 2012: Arian Foster wants to stay in Houston – Pro Football Zone
  3. Feb 6, 2012: Houston Texans – Blog | Brisiel hopes to re-sign with Texans «
  4. Feb 7, 2012: Foster says he wants to stay in Houston | Temecula Photography
  5. Feb 7, 2012: Foster says he wants to stay in Houston | | Crowsfield Writings and ImagesCrowsfield Writings and Images
  6. Feb 7, 2012: Realtor Palooza! 2011 Listing Info » Foster says he wants to stay in Houston
  7. Feb 7, 2012: Foster says he wants to stay in Houston
  8. Feb 7, 2012: macbook-pro.info » Blog Archive » Foster says he wants to stay in Houston
  9. Feb 11, 2012: Foster says he wants to stay in Houston « Palm Beach Gardens Homes
  10. Feb 11, 2012: Foster says he wants to stay in Houston | 800 Web Network
  11. Feb 13, 2012: 2012 NFL Free Agents: Could Arian Foster Really Leave the Houston Texans? : :: Sparxxrx LLC ::