- Kubiak said that defensive coordinator Wade Phillips’ impending interview for the Tampa Bay head coaching job will not be a distraction. Phillips will interview Friday evening, after players and coaches have already gone home and finished their preparations for the week.
- Tight end Owen Daniels “does have a hand issue” but “it’s not going to keep him from playing.” Kubiak said Daniels, who was injured against the Bengals on Saturday but returned to the game, is “fine” and will be back on the practice field on Wednesday. “That’s nothing that’s going to hold him back,” Kubiak said. “He will be ready to go. It’s not an issue from that standpoint.” It was reported Sunday that Daniels might have a broken right hand, but Kubiak said he’s still in an evaluation process.
- The Texans entered Saturday as healthy as they had been in a long time, and they made it through the game with no major issues. Wide receiver Andre Johnson (hamstring) had a play count in the mid-40s and “came out of the game fine.” Right guard Mike Brisiel (fibula) played about three quarters before getting fatigued but “should be even better this week.” Rookie outside linebacker Bryan Braman “should be ready to go” after leaving Saturday’s game with an injury. Free safety Troy Nolan (ankle), who was inactive on Saturday, “has an excellent chance to be ready to contribute this week.”
- Kubiak on what the Texans need to do differently against Baltimore this time around after losing 29-14 at M&T Bank Stadium in Week 6: “Well, they closed and we didn’t. When you look at the game, I think it was a 14-10 or 14-13 game late in the third quarter and then they made big plays in the pass game in the fourth quarter. We had opportunities offensively and didn’t make them in the fourth quarter.”
- Kubiak was asked how he has dealt with the Texans being tagged as underdogs. “I think it’s kind of been our situation since we’ve lost some key players, especially since we had our quarterback situation,” Kubiak said. “I think a lot of people have said there are a lot of things we can’t do. We’ve had to go to work and try to prove them wrong, so to speak. That’s been part of our motivation as a football team and will continue to be that… Regardless of how tough our situation is – this is a tough one this week, a tough place to play, a great football team – we know if we play our type of football then we’ll have an excellent chance to win. We’re staying focused on that.”
Tags: Andre Johnson, Bryan Braman, Gary Kubiak, Kubiak day-after pressers, Mike Brisiel, Owen Daniels, Texans-Ravens Divsional Round game, Troy Nolan, Wade Phillips
Posted in Nick Scurfield | 3 Comments »