Texans coach Gary Kubiak met with the media Monday for his regularly-scheduled day-after-a-game press conference at 3:30 p.m. CT at Reliant Stadium.
Here are the highlights:
- The Texans are sticking with Frank Bush as defensive coordinator. Asked how he can justify that given the way the defense has struggled, Kubiak said: “Because I believe in him. I think we played much better defense yesterday. I think if we finished the game, we’d be talking about how much better we were.”
- On the 42-yard pass to Braylon Edwards that set up Santonio Holmes’ game-deciding touchdown, cornerback Jason Allen was covering Edwards inside. Kubiak was asked if Allen should have been outside to prevent Edwards from getting out of bounds. “We’re playing two-man, and he was not supposed to be on the outside,” Kubiak said. “He’s working his inside hip, we’re in trail all the way, but we’ve got to stay with him. And obviously as the safety (Eugene Wilson), we can keep our width and not get so involved with the inside route. So, we can play the coverage better.”
- Quarterback Matt Schaub did not suffer any setbacks in his injured right knee against the Jets. Kubiak called Schaub’s performance “very gutsy,” noting that Schaub “missed a lot of practice time and had a swollen knee and we were playing against a hell of a group.”
- Kubiak on the Texans’ slow offensive start and if he has considered going up-tempo all game: “(The Jets) had given up, I think, 71 points in the first nine games in the first half, so this is a pretty good football team. You can’t get frustrated … We found a way to score 27 points. We should find a way to win the game.”
- With 19 seconds left in the first half, the Texans got to the Jets’ 39-yard line on a long catch by Arian Foster. Instead of calling their final timeout, they hurried to the line of scrimmage and ran a play. It was an incomplete pass that left :01 on the clock. Schaub was sacked on the next play, ending the half and giving the Texans zero points on the drive. “I wanted us to spike the ball,” Kubiak explained. “I was trying to get that relayed to Matt, to spike the ball. There would’ve been about 11 seconds left… I was not going to try a field goal from there because I thought the ball wasn’t carrying that way… I would’ve loved to have the timeout and the 11 seconds to run another play, but we didn’t get that done, so I wish I would’ve called it.”
- Kubiak said that Wilson will continue to start at free safety. Backup safety Troy Nolan got about 30 snaps on Sunday and will continue to be in mix. Rookie linebacker Darryl Sharpton, who started for Zac Diles (illness) on Sunday, is “going to play a great deal” moving forward.
- Kubiak, on what he would say to “exasperated” fans who have given up on the season: “I would tell them that we sure as hell aren’t giving up. There’s a lot of football left to play.”
Tags: Darryl Sharpton, Eugene Wilson, Frank Bush, Gary Kubiak, Jason Allen, Kubiak day-after pressers, Matt Schaub, Troy Nolan, Zac Diles
Posted in Nick Scurfield | No Comments »